17 January 2011

Diamonds on the Soles of my Shoes

I've been finding it interesting to look back not only on my recent trip but on the preparations and expectations leading up to it. (Recent travels being three months in Africa in case some poor slob has stumbled across this blog and decided to keep reading for some strange reason. The other fourteen of you reading this should know all about my trip because there is a 50% chance you are my sister.)

In no way shape or form did my experience let me down, but neither did it fulfill all my assumptions and presumptions. Let me be clear - it far exceeded all my wildest dreams and I would go back to it in a heartbeat if it were feasible. That being said - I expected to see more of this kind of stuff....


But there were only two occasions, both in Zimbabwe.

Because I dig this kind of thing I have included all four videos I took. What can I say? I'm a big fan of the Graceland album.

Above and below is the greeting party just before we boarded our boat for a sunset coast down the Zambezi River - also known as THE BOOZE CRUISE, a night that will live as legend in the hearts, minds and memories of those that were there. For the rest of you, let's just assume people had fun.

We only got to see one tribal song & dance number because the boat was getting ready to leave and...well...there was an open bar.


I shot the next two videos when I stumbled across these guys at our campground in Victoria Falls. They were just wandering around, performing for any campsite that had more than a handful of people at it. Sadly most of our folks were off getting an adrenaline fix so I didn't get an up-close performance.


Forgive the shakiness of the last one here, I heard the singing, grabbed my camera and started wandering the campsite looking for the source. They were performing for another truck and I was too shy to get any closer.


More blog posts coming on how Africa exceeded my expectations, but in the meantime - I hope you enjoyed these fellas as much as I did.


-k

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I loved these. I definitely would have loved to experience African music. From one of your sisters,
Eileen