25 August 2007

Guest Blogger: Alli Arnold on the Emerald Isle

Hello!
Here I am, guest blogger and deliriously happy guest of Chris and Kelly.

Let's recap my first 3 days here in Dublin:

I got myself a taxi at the airport and went straight to CJA and Shirl's apartment. I got in at about 9 a.m. Dublin time, but it felt like 4 a.m. to me. I was too excited to sleep so I pulled myself together and after a brief tour of their lovely home we went out into the world. First stop: breakfast at Bruxelle's.



Who says it's too early for beer?


Phil wouldn't say that.

(*Thin Lizzy are a hard rock band who formed in Dublin, Ireland in 1969. The band was originally led by bassist, songwriter and singer Phil Lynott. They are best known for their 1976 songs "Jailbreak" and "The Boys Are Back in Town", both major international hits still played regularly on hard rock and classic rock radio stations.)

After my first REAL Guinness and a bagel with cream cheese & Irish Smoked Salmon (mmm) we walked around, I bought two scarves at the market ($7 each), and I got a general sense of the City Center. Dublin is busy and bustling and very cosmopolitan! After another Guinness and more walking we came home and napped from 3-6 p.m. We went out again for dinner at The Old Vat House (fish and chips with mushy peas!) and then found ourselves in time for the second half of "Quiz Night" at the Bleeding Horse, Chris and Kelly's "local".

Then home to bed...



On my second day Shirl had to take care of some business so CJA and I headed out. We went to "DELISH" for breakfast, and it sure was. THAT is a chicken, leek and ham "pie", served with mashed potatoes and gravy, and a cappuchino. Good morning to you, sir!



After our hearty meal Chris and I walked to Dublin Castle and while wandering around the gardens he educated me about some of Ireland's history. I needed the lesson. Chris is already very familiar with his new city but even he wasn't expecting to see SAND SCULPTURES in the courtyard of the Dubin Castle! The first thing we saw were these HUGE FEET. Seeing as CJA is so fond of my feet (he calls them books because he thinks my feet are square and flat) we had to take a picture.



Here's what's at the other end of these huge feet. Gulliver!



In the afternoon we met up with Shirl and decided to buy tickets for the HOP ON/HOP OFF tour bus. First stop: the Guinness Factory. Here are Chris and Kelly enjoying their complementary Guinness in the Gravity Bar.


I, too, enjoyed my complimentary Guinness.

(*On my second night in Dublin a couple of lads told me I look like "Shelley" from "Coronation Street" (a popular night-time soap here). I had to google her to see what they were talking about, and I guess I see the resemblance....


She's holding a beer, too!



Tenderness aboard the HOP ON/HOP OFF bus.

(*Note that Chris is rocking my new scarf-looking like the European Male Model that we all know he has inside of him.)



Here is his BLUE STEEL look.



Chris had a lacrosse meeting on Thursday night and Kelly and I went out to a pub called HOGAN'S for Nuria's going-away party. That's Nuria on the left. She's on Chris and Kelly's softball team but she's moving back to San Francisco. There were lots of nice people there from this team and I am very glad we went out and met them!

All in all it's been a super-busy, super fun introduction to Dublin! I feel very welcome and I can't wait to get to know the city and its people better. Chris and Kelly are perfect, generous hosts and I feel so lucky to be here exploring this fantastic city with them. Life is good.

More soon! Next time: The Dublin Zoo!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Love hearing about your trip. Great pictures. Thank you for some laughs.

Mrynn said...

Great post Ali - love all of your commentary and the pictures are great too! Sounds like your trip is off to a great start. I look forward to more updates...

Becky said...

Aww! I wish I was there with you crazy shirls! Chris love the skull scarf, you look like you are straight out of the pages of US Weekly! Good job guest posting Ali :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going on the HOP ON/HOP OFF bus tomorrow in NYC! Hope I have as much fun as you guys did. So here's a few reasons why I can't come to Dublin to visit K & C: The breakfasts!!! ( I would surely come home 10lbs heavier!), the drinking from breakfast until.....(I'm allergic to alcohol!) and the number one reason.........I'm lucky I even respond to a blog entry; now you have to put one of your own in as a guest!!!!!!? fuhgetaboutit. Of course, OK, (Only Kidding...i think i just made that up...tee hee) I can't wait to dig my feet back on the old mother earth again. I wonder if anything has changed since 1978? Get yourselves over to Galway and Connemara and Dingle and Kerry. Gorg! What would I do without exclamation points? There would then be no "point" im me writing anything!!! Anyways Ali, thanks for the update and continue having fun and give my baby sis a big smackeroony and squeeze for me and then play with her hair for a few moments. We love that.....or a back scratch. Eileen

Anonymous said...

Hi ali , cool posting! You are prettier then Shelly and in the picture with Nuria you look like a long lost Judd girl !
Interesting choice of scarf, there. you'll be all ready for halloween.!
I hope you gert to the Aran Islands while on the west coast, they are something to see ! There are lots of parcels of land there. Love , Helen