How about I try and explain away the incredible amount of time I have wasted this weekend?
Let's set the stage: Home sick. Last week I finished the only unread book in the house and as we're on a shed-all-possessions kick I can't bring myself to get a new one. Sold the TV and DVD player this week, so no vegging on the couch with a stack of rented movies. So what HAVE I been doing?
Surfing the hell outta the internet. But only completely useless sites. Facebook-stalking is about the closest I've come to productivity, and even that seemed too goal-oriented after an hour. Other websites I have dallied at today - list is in no way exhaustive and in no particular order...
1) www.postcardsfromyomomma.com Always good for a giggle.
2) www.11points.com Some clever lists, some time wasters, but enough good stuff to keep me coming back for more several times today, mostly when I was in danger of doing something useful. Think it's got me feeling listy.
3) www.surfthechannel.com Watching the world's most inane and formulaic spy-cum-private detective show. Burn Notice. It stinks. I have no idea why, but have been compelled to watch episode after episode of it this weekend. Perhaps it has healing powers my body is attuned to but my mind is not?
4) Loitering on skype, gmail chat and AIM. After one really nice morning conversation nothing much developed.
5) www.postsecret.com - updated on Sundays and one of my favorite sites for a weekly visit. I love other people's dirty laundry.
Other weekend activities include:
1) Learn German in Four Easy Steps. Book / cds. Hmmmm. Four steps? Really? It's actually more like 4,000 steps. None of which are particularly easy. And none of them have sunken in yet as I still can't understand a lick of German. Not a total loss though - I found a favorite phrase. Das ist unglaublich! = That's unbelievable! Truth is I haven't put nearly enough time (as yet) into this venture. Hopes remain high. Ever the optimist. Ich spreche Deutsch. Or rather I will. Just haven't learned the future tense yet.
2) Listening to music, most notably T. Rex Electric Warrior several times. I think Mambo Sun must have healing properties just like that lame spy show, only this titillates my senses while it heals. Consider this time well spent.
3) Drinking pots and pots of tea. Green tea, black tea, decaf tea, blueberry tea, breath-easy tea. With milk, honey, lemon, sugar and sometimes a packet of lemsip (that's Theraflu to the Americans out there) You name the tea combination, I have drank it this weekend.
4) Not smoking. Believe it or not, this takes up a tremendous amount of time. And don't go getting all excited that I've turned over a new leaf. I'm just trying to give my lungs a fighting chance at kicking this faux swine flu. Plans to really and truly quit are, as ever, set in the not too distant future, an unspecified time close enough to placate, yet far enough away not to cause me any mental anxiety.
5) Blowing my nose. I don't want to gross anyone out here, but seriously, how much snot can one head hold??? This is so bad I am considering using the word redonkulous. Which in and of itself is ridiculous. That's how stuffed my head is. By the power of Grayskull I demand this head cold VANISH!
Hmmmm. Didn't work. Dang.
As it seems I am listing things, might as well finish off with a list of things I have NOT done this weekend:
1) Ironing work clothes for the week. Oh boy, I am gonna regret that tomorrow morning.
2) Figure out how to add the song Mambo Sun to this blog's playlist. Why did Deezer need to go and change their site? Why are technical things always upgrading?!? I finally stumble my way to figuring something out and then Blam! It's gone all 2.0 on my ass and I am back to square one. Sigh. I hate technology. This seems like an appropriate space to declare my objections to Windows Vista - but I'll spare y'all the rant.
3) Shower. That's right. I am sick and wallowing in my own filth. Disgusting. I know. Embrace it.
4) Pack or sort a single thing in preparation for upcoming move to Vienna. (insert big fat raspberry sound here)
5) Learn German. (but not for lack of trying!)
And now I think I will take my dirty self out to buy a pack of cigs and then sit down to another episode of Burn Notice. Yeah, yeah, I know...das ist unglaublich.