01 September 2007

Come in for a cuppa?


Welcome to the wonderful world of the electric tea kettle. Who knew something so prosaic could give me such a tickle? It comes in all shapes and sizes, and though shiny stainless steel looked sleek and irresistible, resist we did, as budget dictated we must. But plain white plastic did not disappoint. Fill 'er up, plug 'er in and in the time it takes to get your teabags into the teapot, your sugar cubes into the mugs and your milk outta the fridge...Bang!...that baby is sounding the nice little roil-rumble of boiling water and turns itself right off. Pour your boiling water into the teapot and you are ready to pour yourself a nice cuppa in a manner of minutes.

Half my thrill may come from the humble teapot itself; that middle man changes the experience of making a cup of tea into something foreign and exotic. Pouring boiling water directly into my mug somehow demeans the whole process, so no matter how much tea I intend to drink, I make a whole pot. Needless to say we are drinking a lot more tea these days.

Cheers!
-k.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe maggie just booked a trip so that she can look into this electric tea thang. Love and chuckles, Helen

Anonymous said...

I am also a big fan of the pot of tea! One cup is never enough! I've often thought of getting an electric tea pot, but now that I'm having my kitchen re-done, I'm getting an automatic hot water spout right in my sink.
Moira

Chris said...

ok...automatic hot water spout ?

freakin cool !