08 June 2007

Dublin !


Grafton Street - Dublin's answer to Fifth Avenue. This pedestrian only boulevard has loads of shops, street performers, cafes and pubs. It runs from the river Liffey south to St. Stephens Green (a beautiful park). If you notice the Clock in the right side of this picture, that is at the end of the lane that runs to our apartment, we're live one short block away!



Our little corner shoppe that sells fresh baked breads, meats, and gourmet canned goods. This area has hundreds of little stores like this. Kelly and I plan on gaining several hundred pounds each...or should I say kilos ?



Summer is almost here in Dublin. The weather has been great. Sunny and mid 60-s by day, 50 at night. Dublin is very far north, like Canada... so we have 19 hours a day of light ! The sun comes up just after 4am and it doesnt get dark until after 10pm ! The winter (ugh) is the exact opposite...oh boy, can't wait.



This poor guy had to hall away all the empty kegs of Guinness I drank since we got here... sorry lad.



Ha'penny bridge. A beautiful pedestrian footbridge crossing the Liffey. back in the day you had to pay a half penny to cross it, hence the name. Today its free. (Possibly the only free thing in Dublin!)


Could this picture be taken anywhere but Ireland ? I think not.



The Palace Bar.... one of 1000 pubs in Dublin.



Hustle and bustle on the North side of the river. There are plenty of options for public transportation including the light rail pictured here.

Kelly and I landed at 9am on Wednesday morning and immediately hopped in a cab for the city center. We met up with our realtor who took us to our apartment and we've been on the go ever since!

The first night we took a taxi to the University College Dublin (UCD) where I will be coaching the lacrosse team. There was a game that night and after we went to the post-game festivities in the downtown bar district, Temple Bar. We met all the local lacrosse guys, men's club team and college team, and partied til dawn. As predicted, everyone is great and we have new friends to help us get settled. Last night we met up with the same crowd and did it all over again !

Some of the guys are leaving today for a tournament in England and they invited me to join them for a tournament in 2 weeks in Berlin, playing for the Danish team !

Dublin is truly a wonderful city. The Irish live up to their reputation as the most warm, friendly and helpful people we've ever met.

We've only been here 3 days, but it already feels like home.

Slainte' !

-Chris

7 comments:

Chris said...

On one of his morning forays, Chris came back with tulips for me from a fresh flower stall like the one in the picture. Awwwwwwwww.
-K.

Becky said...

It seems absolutely wonderful guys! Kelly and Chris move to Ireland and live happily ever after....

Chris you are already coaching!?! You little go-getter!!!!

I can't wait to visit!! And I gained like 15 on my trip to Italy (possibly more) so get ready! Go buy some Buffet Pants!!

Anonymous said...

If you haven't got a penny a haypenny will do if you haven't got a haypenny then God bless you!

Guess who.

Anonymous said...

I don't know- I think I saw that same woman playing in Penn Station last week!
P-hsa

Colleen said...

Sounds like you guys are going to have an unforgetable summer. Enjoy!
Chris are you going to Berlin?

Chris said...

Col, I passed on the Berlin trip. We've been traveling so much, I'm happy to explore here for the rest of the summer.

Slainte'

DaLean said...

I am still sooooo excited for you guys! I look at the website every day, like being addicted to a soap opera where you love every character....I can still skip a day and catch up the next, it's great! We bought a motorized shark to put in the pool so Dale can go shark fishing whenever he wants. I actually said to him that I would be willing to fly to Ireland......needless to say...he was shocked.

See you soon!
DaLean